Thursday, December 31, 2009

A resolution alternative: Mission 101/Day Zero

Ah, the start of a fresh, new year is nearly upon us. This is the time of year when people decide to make resolutions to try to better themselves. Whether or not those resolutions stick is a whole other story.

Instead of making one or two resolutions, sometimes it's easier to make smaller goals and set a time table.
Another thing that I have participated in is Mission 101, a wonderful concept where participants make a list of 101 things they would like to accomplish from one-time things like cooking a fancy meal to consistent goals of taking daily vitamins. The best part is that participants are given 1001 days to accomplish such goals. That's 2.75 (almost 3) years. Mission 101 gets its motivation from the Day Zero Project.

I participated in this program from November 2007 to August 2009. It was an incredible journey and I updated and changed the list a lot. I figured it was one of those things I would work on for a month or so and then cast off and forget about it. But it was so much fun crossing things off of my list and adding new things and seeing how my life had progressed. All I did was create a master list and posted it in my blog. It was nice to have support from my friends and the sense of accomplishment I got from crossing off little things like taking a load of items to Goodwill was about the same as bigger items like graduating college.

It also helps to add in some sort of "repercussion" if you don't accomplish your goals on time. For example, I decided to put one dollar into a savings account for every item I didn't accomplish. It ended up being less than $15.
I have never kept a New Year's resolution, so this list was a fantastic way to accomplish some goals.

Take a look at the
LiveJournal Mission 101 profile page. You can even sift through other people's list. If you're a member of the LJ community, join up and post your own list. Or, you can join the Day Zero Project. If not, read the concept of Mission 101 and start your list in your own blog of even write out a list and post it on your refrigerator. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful showcase post. I'm not sure if I could come up with 101 things, but it'd be sure neat to try. Since you had a lot of fun with the list the first time, have you thought about doing it again?

Melissa said...

Katy, why can't I directly respond to comments? This is driving me nuts! I've thought about doing it again, but at the moment I just don't have the motivation. Haha!

Anonymous said...

You might to search about blogspot having a direct reply feature. I'm not sure there is one, so I downloaded intensedebate (it was fairly easy to do). I can understand not having the motivation; completing one list of that portion takes a lot of effort!