Saturday, November 14, 2009

A special word from...

I have tentatively decided that I like the Tuesday/Thursday format for posts, that way I don't get burned out on exciting content. Hah!


I wanted to make a special Saturday post. Today is a huge day in college football. Okay, it's a big day in college football for the state of Idaho. Today is rivalry day and the University of Idaho Vandals are taking on the Boise State Broncos on the smurf turf. (Note my diplomacy here).

I've been a Vandals fan forever. I don't really know why or how it started, it just did. It only escalated when I actually attended U of I, and I proudly display my diploma at work and a window sticker on my car, despite living in the middle of Bronco nation.

The two teams have been meeting since 1971, of those games the Vandals have won 17 (including a streak from 1982-1993) and the Broncos have won 20 (including a streak that's been ongoing since 1999) and one tie in 1975 before NCAA rules changed. Not only are they playing for bragging rights (which is huge) but also for the Governor's Cup, which has sadly only been in the hands of Boise State because it was created in 2001.

It's no secret that the last 9 years or so the Vandals have been, well, bad. They had some rough luck with single season coaches and team member issues. Finally, coach Robb Akey (click here to vote for him as coach of the year) left his job at nearby Washington State University to take the head coaching position at Idaho. The turnaround the Vandals have seen this year has been incredible. They've gone from winning, I think, 2 games last season to already being potentially bowl bound with a 7-3 record so far.

That's why this rivalry game is so important. This is the first year in a long time that Idaho has a fighting chance to claim bragging rights for the state of Idaho. All of the Vandal fans that I know are extremely proud and excited.

GO VANDALS!

0 comments: