Thursday, February 18, 2010

Does it Work: Chili Potatoes


Earlier I was thinking that I wanted to add a new feature to the blog. Sort of a consumer awareness type of thing. I wanted something useful where I try out something and we can see whether it worked or not. I will try a few experiments with cooking or products or activities and we'll see how well they work.

The other day we had a thought. We like potatoes and chili, so why couldn't we put these two items together? There was no logical reason, so I came up with a game plan: twice baked potatoes baked a third time with chili.

The Process:

I started by baking 4 large Idaho potatoes and then hollowed out the centers, saving all of the insides in a separate bowl.


I mixed sour cream, salt, pepper, garlic powder, a little bit of milk, and shredded cheddar cheese in with the potato innards and refilled the empty shells. I then baked them for another 20 minutes.


I opened two cans of chili and poured it over the top of the potatoes. I replaced the potatoes in the oven for another 15-20 minutes until the chili was bubbling. This is the end result.

The Results

Okay, I have to say that the end result looked much better than the picture. Overall it tasted okay, but once we got down a little bit it was just potato. We decided that maybe we could add one can of chili to the potato innards and then one can of chili on the top to ensure that the flavor is throughout the potato.

I'd rate this experiment at a 4, maybe trying it a different way would up that a little bit. My mom said it sounded gross, I guess that means she won't be coming for dinner.

0 comments: