Thursday, February 25, 2010

Does it Work: Mighty Putty


Today's Does it Work is about infomercial products. Well, one product in particular. I love infomercials and I loved Billy Mays (and Anthony Sullivan on "Pitchmen"). I also enjoy perusing the "As Seen on TV" aisles at my local stores.

The Product

Mighty Putty has been advertised on TV as a miracle product that can patch or fix any product from tiles, to leaky faucets, to hanging shelves.

Photo Source


The Trial

The curtain rods in our house are screwed into the wall, but they have a tendency to slip out. I don't know if it's because the curtains get pulled on a lot, or because of the plaster on the walls. At any rate, it's a pain in the backside, so I decided to get some Mighty Putty to reattach the bracket to the wall since the screw had been stripped.


The Result

Mighty Putty is an epoxy, so it smells...really bad. This is made worse by the fact that you have to mix the putty in your hand to activate it. The box does include rubber gloves, though. After attaching the putty and letting it set for 30 minutes (as per instructions) I tugged a little bit and the whole thing fell down.

However, that was my fault for not reading the instructions. They clearly state that the bond created is only as strong as the bond the paint has to the wall. Once that section of paint came off, I did the process again and...VOILA! The bracket has been securely in place for several months.


The Grade

A

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's pretty neat! It seems infomercial products work better than QVC products (several of the stuff we've bought broke after a few months). Happy to see the that Mighty Putty really is Mighty! =D