Thursday, August 12, 2010

Tabbouleh




Sometimes I watch cooking shows and it's just as good as eating. For a long time I've seen television chefs whipping up some sort of couscous with mint and tomatoes, so I did some digging. It turns out the idea I had in my head was a Middle Eastern salad called tabbouleh. Traditionally it is made with bulgur, a type of wheat. But after a little bit of research I found that couscous can be substituted for bulgur. So, for my treat week at the office I whipped up a huge double batch. I have to say it was a definite hit!

Tabbouleh

  • 1 cup couscous, cooked according to package directions
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 1/3 cup lemon juice
  • 1 cup chopped green onions
  • 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
  • 3 tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 cucumber - peeled, seeded and chopped
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ground black pepper to taste

Directions

  1. Cook couscous according to package directions.
  2. Finely chop onion, parsley, and mint.
  3. Chop tomatoes and cucumbers into somewhat uniform cubes. Add to the items chopped in #2.
  4. Add oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper to make a dressing. Toss with the veggies and couscous.
  5. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. The longer it sits, the better the flavor.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious! Nice job! =D