Friday, October 30, 2009

A Campy Halloween

I love Halloween.

Actually, I think it's my favorite holiday. I love Halloween TV specials! I am especially fond of animated specials like Garfield's Halloween Special, Disney's Halloween Treat, Bugs Bunny's Howl-oween Special. But of course we cannot forget the great sitcom specials from Roseanne, The Drew Carey Show, and Two Guys and a Girl.

I enjoy scary movies as well as stuffing myself silly with candy.

However, I was never a fan of dressing up, asking people for candy, or visiting haunted houses or corn mazes. I'm not sure why, but I'd rather be an observer than a participant.

I have discovered something fun about Halloween and that's the campy horror/comedy films by Troma. These movies are low-budget and not something you would ever see in a large theater. But they're also a creepy, lighthearted look at horror flicks (an homage or parody if you will).

Last year was the first year I rented a Troma movie, and I think I'll make it a yearly tradition.
Redneck Zombies.
Sure, at first the cinematography looks like a student film, but who can resist a movie about rednecks who accidentally drink toxic waste because they've confused it with moonshine? All around, there are funny moments, moments where you seriously question your sanity for renting something so bizarre, moments where you're scared or shocked, and by the end you're congratulating yourself for discovering one of the worst and best things ever.



Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter
Last weekend I decided to carry on my newfound tradition of the Troma film and watched Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter. Some may say it's sacreligious, but I say awesome. This is a punk take on the cheesy and campy vampire movies from the '70s and '80s, oh and did I mention there's kung fu? Pretty sweet. There's also some great comedy when Jesus speaks to his parents...and actually, the film has a great message at the end regarding sexual orientation. A very subtle social commentary at the least.


Chopper Chicks in Zombietown.
This is the next Troma movie on my list, Chopper Chicks in Zombietown. I'm pretty sure I'll be watching it on Halloween. My expectations are pretty high...I mean, lesbian bikers that end up in a town full of zombies? Yeah, I'm totally there! I believe that although the box art promises Billy Bob Thornton (a huge name for a Troma film, even if it was before he was famous (and infamously carrying around a vial of Angelina's blood), his part is supposedly rather small. But whatever makes the DVDs fly off the shelves.


Whatever your taste in movies or even Halloween celebrations, be safe and eat lots of candy. Hit up the comments section and recommend some really scary (or really funny) Halloween movies and share what your plans are for the holiday.

(All images thanks to Troma and Google Image Search)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I've ever really watched campy Halloween movies. I guess it's something I can tackle in November or next year! I really like The Blob, Ten Little Indians, Hocus Pocus (that's sorta considered campy) and a few others.

I plan on trick or treating tonight, and passing out candy. Hope you have fun!

Melissa said...

It can be really fun. A lot of people like horror movies to scare them, but I've found that the low budget films have a different perspective, often made by unknown directors/staff and they're trying to parody or give an homage to older horror films, which is kind of cool. What they can do on such a limited budget is really neat.