I have already posted some fantastic holiday snacky-treat recipes. But, what in the world will you wash them down with? I have a couple wonderful recipes that will excite your taste buds and satisfy your cold weather thirst!
Chai Tea Mix
1c nonfat milk powder
2 1/2 t ground cinnamon
1 1/2 c powdered nondairy creamer
1 t ground cloves
1/2 t ground cardamom
1 1/2 c unsweetened instant tea mix
1/2 t ground nutmeg
2 t ground ginger
2 1/2 c vanilla sugar**
**Mix 3t vanilla extract in sugar & let dry for 4 hours.
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients with vanilla sugar mixture.
- Add up to 1c of the mixture to a blender, food processor, or coffee grinder at a time. Mix until it turns into a fine powder.
Cider is a cold weather staple. This version is from the lovely Rachael Ray.
1 quart apple cider
1 large cinnamon stick
1 lemon, zested
Dash of clove powder
3 "grates" of fresh nutmeg
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer, strain, and serve.
Steamers are a fantastic take on flavored lattes. The best thing to do is hit up your local grocery store and pick out some of your favorite flavored syrups in the coffee isle. The best part is that if you want a caffeine kick, just add a shot of espresso or coffee. Some of the best flavors are chocolate, vanilla, almond, or even toasted marshmallow.
1 cup milk or half & half
1oz of any flavor syrup (or 1/2oz of two flavors)
- Heat milk in a saucepan until hot, do not burn
- Pour syrup into cup, add milk, stir, and enjoy
Some other tips to spice up your holiday drinks:
- Stir your tea or coffee with a candy cane or cinnamon stick
- Add honey or maple syrup instead of sugar
- Add flavored syrups to hot chocolate
- Add caramel to hot apple cider
- Try out any number of flavored teas such as vanilla, chai spice, red zinger, or orange spice