Thursday, February 4, 2010

Picture Post: Fractals


I discovered fractals randomly about eight years ago while surfing the web looking for a new wallpaper for my computer. I am not mathematically inclined at all, so I found it fascinating that these insane pieces of art are created from mathematical equations!

Very simplistically, fractals are repeated patterns of geometric shapes that are replicated on a smaller and smaller scale, so no matter how much magnification occurs, the shape is always the same. We all know the dangers of using Wikipedia as a source, but for this purpose, it works well to explain fractals better than I ever could.

So instead of the English major trying to explain a mathematical concept, how about I get back to the original topic of this post: pictures. Below are some of my favorite fractal designs. You can click the image for a larger version.






0 comments: