Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Sweet and Sour Meatballs


Today's recipe is what's for dinner tonight. The thing I love the most about this recipe is that you can make it the morning or night before and pop it into a 350 degree oven for a few minutes. Or, you can mix the sauce and the meatballs together and serve with rice (I've been using brown jasmine). Yum!

Sweet and Sour Meatballs

The Meatballs
1 lb. ground beef (or turkey)
1 egg
1T cornstarch
1t salt
dash of pepper
1/4c bread crumbs

Mix all of the ingredients together with your hands and form into 1-inch balls. Cook in a little bit of oil on medium heat until cooked through (about 3 minutes on each side).

The Sauce
1 can pineapple chunks, reserve juice
1c pineapple juice (just use the reserved juice)
3T cornstarch
3T vinegar (I used rice vinegar)
1T soy sauce
1T oil (I used EVOO)
1T ketchup
1/2c sugar

Mix all ingredients together in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking often. Cook until the sauce bubbles, thickens, and turns a light brown.

Add meatballs to the sauce and serve!

Like I said, I made this dish ahead of time and it's actually one of my aunt's recipes that she would freeze pre-made for my grandparents. Of course, if you freeze it, you'll want to thaw it out or take longer to cook in the oven.


0 comments: